Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Superbowl?

One of the fine features of my wife's new job is that I get to tag 

along to all of the social events that she gets invited to. Having 
no real friends of my own yet on Long Island, I latch on to her work
friends and pretend that they're mine too. Which means that mostly,
I get to pretend that I'm an intellectual with all of these heady
professors and PhD candidates and such. And with Lindsey being in
the Political Science department at Stony Brook, and this being
election season, there's a lot to talk about. I like to feel that I
inject the "regular Joe's" perspective on the issues.

Oh right, the subject of this post is supposed to be about the
Superbowl the other night. So, with the perk of getting to tag along
to social events, Lindsey and I went to a small Superbowl gathering
of one of the grad students. I have to say that Lindsey and I are 

not really sports fans. Not that I don't appreciate the skills and
strategy and whatnot of the games, I just have this problem where I
really don't care who wins. But for the sake of trying to blend in
and all, let's say I'm very pleased that the Giants won. After all, 

if memory serves, my alma mater, Highland Park High School, were also
the Giants, so I feel a deep connection here.


The evening was quite an entertaining one. I got to drink good beer; 


watch Tom Petty play; be disturbed that people hold up cell phones
instead of lighters now (fire marshall must be happy, but it's just
lame); and I decided to have one of the grad students, who's
Canadian, explain curling to us. 


Needless to say, I'm still a little
confused.


-Sam

No comments: