Monday, November 17, 2008

"Sleeping By The Curbside"

Been digging through my archives lately, and came across a project that I did for a photo book design course back in college.  It was my response to 9/11, I guess, all about rubble and junk and how the mundane stuff that people leave behind and the beauty that it can still possess.

Anywho, here's the introduction to the book that I wrote ages ago that probably makes more sense than I can probably make now, and, of course, the photos.

Enjoy!

-Sam

====================================


These photographs were taken as I walked around my neighborhood. They are of things forgotten; things that we used, but then tossed aside when we were finished with them. These forgotten things now stare back at us from the curbside, blanketed in decaying leaves, waiting to be found and loved again. Most, however, rot away silently as we pass by day after day.

These forgotten items are remnants of our consume and throw away society. Everything is rendered obsolete before it is made. On the streets and in alleys, I found not only discarded junk, but scraps of culture, peeling and fading away. A bumper sticker stuck to a sign post reminding us to vote for someone for president, but we do not know who anymore, and no one seems to care. Vinyl records collect rain drops in a storm. An old eight-millimeter film editor sleeps in a small garden on someone’s lawn. These are things that were once useful, but are now junk, trash.

The purpose of this book is to prove that junk can indeed be beautiful where it is found. Irving Penn was able to give street garbage new life by bringing it into the studio. I have chosen to leave the junk be and give it life and beauty where it lies now. Our junk, our forgotten things, do describe who we once were and now want to forget. They become poems of our lives, stories of our pasts.

===================================

1 comment:

Jenn Jorgensen said...

I think I know that tree!